- Meetings & Events
- Membership Services
- Professional Development
- Parking Matters
- Knowledge Center
- Shop IPI
IPI Unveils New Website
IPI is pleased to announce the recent launch of our completely overhauled website, www.parking.org, to enhance our primary communication vehicle and provide the best information, content and user-experience for IPI members and the parking industry.
Our goal is for the IPI website to become a valuable tool for members, prospective members and those seeking information about parking - and a vehicle for advancing the parking profession. Among the key features are:
Knowledge Center - IPI's Knowledge Center contains resources to advance the parking profession, highlight proven practices, and provide statistics and relevant parking facts and information. Home to the Library and Photo Galleries, the Knowledge Center puts the resources that support and advance the parking profession and highlight the vital role of parking in society at your fingertips.
Some sections are designated for members only. IPI members will need to "register" on the new site to gain access to these sections. To create your new website account, follow the "Register" link and enter your email address and member-ID number. Individuals that do not know their member-ID can contact the IPI Member Services Department at 540.371.7535 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will continually be looking for ways to improve the new website to make it more beneficial to you; so please feel free to contact email@example.com with your comments and suggestions.
2011 Awards of Excellence Nominations Open
Upcoming IPI Webinar to Explore Privatization
Emerging Trends In Parking System Monetization - Issues and Impacts
August 25, 2010 at 2:00 PM EDT
L. Dennis Burns, CAPP, Regional Vice President and Senior Practice Builder, Kimley-Horn and Associates, Inc.
With a limited history in the parking arena, "parking system monetization" is gaining attention and interest on a national basis. This IPI webinar will:
· Provide a review of recent and active parking P3 projects
· Identify emerging trends in this area
· Provide examples of good privatization goals & key issues to consider
· Discuss a new process element that is emerging
· Examine the kinds of questions parking professionals will be asked to answer in a typical P3 RFP process
· Explore the potential impacts to the communities that are served by these parking programs
· Review "The Extreme Scenarios Comparison"
· And finally, discuss potential impacts to the parking profession and parking professionals
$35 for IPI Memebrs
$50 for Non-members
For more information and to register, visit the IPI e-Learning web site, www.parking.org/webinars.
Q&A From PCI Compliance Webinar
On Wednesday, July 28, IPI presented its seventh webinar of 2010 - Pay Now or Pay Later - The Risks Associated with Ignoring PCI DSS Compliance. The webinar, presented by Stefanie Bartak, CPISM, Compliance Specialist, First National Merchant Solutions, LLC, provided important information on this evolving industry initiative, including merchant requirements for PCI DSS validation, methods of validation and why compliance is relevant to your business. Below is an excerpt of the Question and Answer segment of the webinar.
What is the significance of a company's software or hardware not being listed on the PCI Security Standard Council List of Validated Payment Applications?
We always recommend using software or hardware that is on the validated list. With that being said, we also understand that this is not always possible. If your software or hardware is not on the list, I would recommend getting an attestation from the company/vendor stating their product is compliant.
If we outsourced to a third party service provider, is it enough to just get their PCI validation?
If everything was completly outsourced, the third party would need to be compliant and it would be your businesses' responsibility to complete a SAQ A (the 12 question self assessment questionnaire.)
What are the requirements for parking pay stations and how are they monitored where the stations are not monitored and a motorist must insert their card?
It all depends on how the station is setup. If the stations process over the Internet, scans would be required and the SAQ that needs to be completed would be based on whether the stations store or do not store cardholder data.
Call for Presentations for 2011 IPI Conference & Expo Opens in Two Weeks
On August 16, the International Parking Institute will open its call for presentations for the 2011 IPI Conference & Expo in Pittsburgh, Pa. The IPI Conference & Expo is the most comprehensive event in the parking industry that enables parking professionals to experience cutting edge technical presentations, network with peers and visit with exhibitors to discuss new products and solutions. In 2010, 2,500 parking and transportation professionals benefited from the IPI Education Committee's hard work in assembling the best IPI education program ever.
The committee is looking for even greater things in 2011, and need you. If you are willing to share your expertise and real world practices in a presentation that illustrates case studies, illuminates important issues, brings "how to" knowledge, and increases the professional levels of those attending the conference, you need to be part of the 2011 IPI Conference & Expo. Begin thinking about what you want to share with your peers and colleagues and be ready to submit your proposal on Monday, August 16. Information will be available on the IPI website at www.parking.org and will be included in the next IPInsider August 17. Deadline for proposals is October 1. Please contact Henry Wallmeyer if you have any questions.
CAPP Two-Day Seminar: Parking Facility Design, Rehabilitation & Maintenance
IPI will be holding the next CAPP two-day seminar, Parking Facility Design, Rehabilitation & Maintenance, at the Westin Mission Hills Resort & Spa in Palm Springs, Calif. on September 14-15, 2010. Please also note the following additional information:
· The registration rate is $400 for IPI members and $600 for non-members.
· The deadline for hotel reservations is August 23, 2010; if you are planning to attend, please do not delay in making your arrangements.
More information, including registration, tentative schedule, and accommodation information is available by downloading the seminar brochure.
If you should have any questions, required additional information or are interested in applying to the CAPP Program, please contact Lauri Chudoba at 540.371.7535.
State of the States
Pennsylvania Parking Association
REGISTER NOW! At www.paparking.org
Early Bird rate ends 8/16/2010!
PPA's Annual Conference returns to State College!
September 29 - October 1, 2010
Nittany Lion Inn
Keynote Speaker - Mark Bodenschatz, Associate Athletic Director of Facilites and Operations, Penn State University
Don't Miss Out!...more information.
Texas Parking Association
The Texas Parking Association 2010 Roundtable and Networking Session was held on July 26, 2010 at Texas A&M University Corpus Christi. We would like to thank Roy Dilks, Parking/Traffic Control Supervisor and the TAMU-CC Police Department for hosting this event. We would also like to thank our presenters:
Parking in the News
The latest industry news and vital industry information:
· Visitors Complain About Cape May's Electronic Parking Meters
· Miami Looks at City's Parking Revenue to Fund Reserves, Make Bond Payments
· Davenport Says it Might Park Free Downtown Meters Due to Parking Ramp Debt
· Community Medical Center's Parking Garage Might Go up for Tax Sale
· Columbus' New Solar-Powered Parking Meters Accept Credit Cards
· Nearly all York City Parking Meters Worked, Officials Say
· Newburyport, Mass. May Net $500K for Garage
· In Jakarta, Parking Operators Must Provide Insurance
· Saint John Parking the Profits
· Ilitch Official Disputes Detroit City Property Tax Bill
· Vail to Review Winter Parking Plan
· Bloomfield Parking Authority to Appeal Eminent Domain Ruling
· Miami Commission Proposes Taking Over Parking Authority
· Chicago Parking Meter Co. to Make $73M This Year
· Whitaker Street Parking Garage Lawsuit Headed to Trial
· Sacked Austrailian Parking Committee Members Reinstated
· Parking Bargain Lures Efficient Vehicles in Boston
· Judge Parks Easton, Pa., Woman in Jail Over $27,000 in Parking Fines
· TriMet Opens First Bike And Ride Facility in Portland, Ore.
· Parking Program to Assist Graduate Students at Michigan State
· SFMTA Launches Demand-Based Parking Pilot Program
· Concerned Residents Speak Out Against Parking Plan
· Changes May Come for Downtown Austin Parking
· Reaction to Lynchburg Parking Meters From Business Owners Mixed
· Parking Remains an Issue for Oswego
· Council Moves to Aase Atlanta Parking Problems with New Zones
· Dialing for Parking Launched on the MBTA
For these stories plus more, visit the Parking in the News section of IPI's website.