2018 IPI Awards of Excellence
Welcome to the 36thAnnual Awards of Excellence Competition
The International Parking Institute’s (IPI) annual Awards of Excellence competition is for new parking facilities or surface lots, innovative parking operations or programs, rehabilitated/restored facilities, new sustainable construction, and architectural achievement, judged within seven categories of competition.
The awards were created in 1982 to recognize parking facilities that are aesthetically appealing as well as functional. The program was expanded in 1985 to encourage innovation in parking programs and operations. Today, facilities that contribute to sustainability are also recognized.
All entries are submitted electronically. You do not have to be an IPI member to enter. The competition is restricted to parking facilities or programs completed or renovated since January 1, 2015.
The 2018 awards competitions are closed.
To be eligible for the IPI Awards of Excellence competition, entries must be received no later than December 4, 2017, 11:59 p.m. EST.
Although parking consultants, architects, engineers, and others may initiate and/or participate in entry preparation, to be eligible, entries must be submitted by the owning agency.
If entry rules are not followed, the entry will automatically be invalid and disqualified from judging. The non-refundable entry fee will be retained by IPI.
An additional entry fee and complete set of entry materials will be required for each submission per category in addition to the original submission.
All entries submitted in every category except Category IV – Innovation in a Parking Operation or Program will automatically be judged in Category VII – Award for Architectural Achievement along with direct Category VII entries.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- December 4, 2017, 11:59 p.m. EST: Call for Entries Deadline.
- November 2017-early January 2018: Judging.
- Late January 2018: Award winners notified.
- Early February 2018: Winners to confirm plaque text and order additional plaques.
- June 2018: Awards Recognition Ceremony at the IPI Conference & Expo.
The Awards of Excellence awards ceremony will be held during the Awards Recognition Ceremony at the 2018 IPI Conference & Expo, June 3-6, Orlando, Fla. Please plan to join us for the celebration of the achievement of these facilities and projects.
- $375 for IPI members.
- $600 for non-members.
- Check or credit cards accepted.
- Entry fees are non-refundable and non-transferrable.
- Entries may be withdrawn but will be subject to a $50 administrative fee.
You can submit as many entries as you would like in as many categories as you would like, however, please keep the following information in mind before you complete the submittal process:
- All entries submitted in every category except Category IV – Innovation in a Parking Operation or Program will automatically be judged in Category VII – Award for Architectural Achievement along with direct Category VII entries. There is no need to resubmit your entry or pay an additional fee.
- For submitting the same entry into two categories, you must create a new entry in the new category.
- If you submit the same entry into two categories (ie. Category II – Best Design of a Parking Facility with 800 or More Spaces and Category VI – Award for New Sustainable Parking & Transportation Facilities Excellence) you will be charged two entry fees. Both of your entries will be considered for the Category VII – Award for Architectural Excellence award.
Categories & Criteria
- Category I – Best Design of a Parking Facility with Fewer than 800 Spaces
- Category II – Best Design of a Parking Facility with 800 or More Spaces
- Category III – Best Design/Implementation of a Surface Parking Lot
- Category IV – Innovation in a Parking Operation or Program
- Category V – Best Parking Facility Rehabilitation or Restoration
- Category VI – Award for New Sustainable Parking & Transportation Facilities Excellence
- Category VII – Award for Architectural Achievement
As you write the narrative portion of your entry, please take into consideration all of the criteria that are applicable to your project. Not all sections will apply to your project. Only address the criteria that apply.
Regrettably, entries that do not include all the prerequisites will be disqualified.
A complete understanding of your entry through your narrative (as well as photos and architectural drawings) will be the basis for determining winners in the competition by the awards panel. While assignment of ratings for each entry is judged by the panel, the ratings value for each criteria are identified. Each criterion is weighted as to comparative importance with the other criteria. Your narrative/word description should consist of no more than 750 words in each category.
One Award of Excellence winner is chosen in each category. Top Award of Excellence winners will be notified and awards will be presented in a ceremony at the 2018 IPI Conference & Expo.
- Four complimentary award plaques — one to the owning agency and three to other project team members of the owning agency’s choice. Additional plaques can be purchased for a fee at a later date.
- Awards of Excellence plaques will be presented during the Awards Recognition Ceremony at the annual IPI Conference & Expo. Winners will be responsible for shipping/transportation of plaques from the conference.
- A slide presentation in the IPI Awards Recognition area at the IPI Conference & Expo will showcase Awards of Excellence winners.
- Awards of Excellence winners will be featured on promotional displays in the IPI Award Recognition area at the IPI Conference & Expo.
- A press release will be distributed announcing the Awards of Excellence winners to appropriate business journals, newspapers, radio stations, and other media through a national publicity campaign.
- All Awards of Excellence winners will be highlighted on IPI’s website.
- All Awards of Excellence winners will be featured in The Parking Professional magazine as well as in the IPI Conference & Expo Official Program Guide.
- All Awards of Excellence winners will receive decals to be used on their company websites, in email signatures, on LinkedIn and Facebook profiles, etc.
- You’ll need to apply through the member portal by logging in with your member credentials or setting up a user account in the same location.
- You can start or stop an entry at any time prior to the entry deadline. You can log back in to finish your entry when you have time by re-entering your email address and password.
- Entries and nominations will only be accepted through this online process. No entries will be accepted via email or USPS mail. The system will walk you through the process.
- Avoid jargon terms and unnecessary use of technical specifications unless such data is truly relevant in the evaluation of the project for the category in which it is being submitted.
2017 Awards of Excellence winners
2016 Awards of Excellence winners
2015 Awards of Excellence winners
2014 Awards of Excellence winners
2013 Awards of Excellence winners
2012 Awards of Excellence winners
Questions? Need advice before submitting? Contact IPI at email@example.com.